Many sources claim the number of strands in 550 paracord is 7, however closer inspection will reveal there are actually 14. The strands are twisted in groups of two to form the 7 strands commonly cited. A braided nylon outer sheath contains and protects the cordage inside.
As I mentioned, 550 paracord is rated to hold 550 pounds. Taken individually, the components of this parachute cord consist of
- The paracord sheath is rated at about 300-pounds
- 14 inner strings, each of which have a rating of about 17.5 pounds
- 7 strands made up on two strings each for a rating of 35 pounds.
- Packed in 100 foot hanks
- Hanks are wound in figure 8 for tangle free deployment
- Color is typically what is on hand, Coyote or OD Green
- Special colors upon request