Choosing a Poncho Size – common question
What do all the letters in the size chooser dropdown mean?
PSS is the standard size
PSSLB the L means Long, the B means Back =12″ longer in back
PSSLE the L means Long, the E is for Equal length front and back
PSSxL means the poncho is extra long
PSSxxL is for our super long ponchos
What are the sizes of each? (from shoulder to bottom)
PSS is 42″ front 42″ back
PSSLB is 42″ front 54″ back
PSSLE is 48″ front and back
PSSxL is 54″ front and back
PSSxxL is 60″ front and back
What size person matches each Poncho size?
PSS is recommended for persons 4’6″ to 5’9″
PSSLB and PSSLE for persons 5’7″ to 6’4″
PSSxL recommended for persons 6’2″ to 6’5″
PSSxxL is for those persons 6’4″ and over
- Notice there is an overlap persons in this range may choose either size
- If unsure use the length chart above and measure from your shoulder to see where the bottom of the poncho will come to on you.
- remember the outside edges will hang a little lower because they are off your shoulder, allow a couple inches.
- too long a poncho for you may result in you stepping on the front when going uphill or over objects.
- you can get away with a longer poncho than recommended if your use will be on roads or well made trails, if you do a lot of “bushwacking” stay in the recommended ranges.
A word about width
Most all the ponchos are a little less than 60″ wide when finished, most fabrics come from the mill in 60″ widths. There is some variation, most silpoly fabrics are 58″ from factory, nylon fabrics are usually 60″ to 62″ wide. Our xWide come at 66″ as do the Super UL. A finished poncho usually runs 3″ – 4″ narrower than the factory width. We always give you as much as we can, we don’t trim wider fabric down.
What about Poncho Sleeve Extensions – PSE’s?
PSE is intended to give a person more arm coverage by forming a sort of sleeve by snapping the cuff, beyond to normal edge of the poncho. PSE’s are not generally recommended on xWide or Super UL fabrics, since they are already wide.
PSE gives 6″ sleeve on each side for a total of 12″ more width
PSExWide gives 12″ sleeve on each side for a total of 24″ more width – this only recommended for persons with very long arms, few people would need something of this size.
For more info you can use the chat box on the website or call us at 801-810-9453